Saturday, December 15, 2007

Raise Your Hand If You're Done

This is the day I’ve been dreading. Not dreading so much as…well, yes, dreading.

I’m going to a mall. I will be in a very large mall, in December a mere 10 days from THE DAY.

I know the why Deborah is punching your teeth to trip off your lips.

Don’t get all slobbery, I’ll tell you why, in a word…daughter.

At some point it became clear that I could not be trusted to buy clothes or gadgets for my daughter on my own. The male was not a problem, but my D oh no—she made it perfectly clear that I didn’t have a clue about those things. So long story short it is now tradition for me to treat her to a shopping spree, well, on my budget—more like splotch, for Christmas. So a-splotching we shall go. She gets to do what she loves most without me griping. That’s the real gift because Deborah Does Not Do Malls. For a few hours on a Saturday in December she shops while I yay or nay (mostly yay--I know my role) choices, pay, hold bags and demand suggest lunch.

It is an event. Really. Alert the media.

Normally my own shopping is done by now. I do mail order. I do it early. I get the stuff in, wrapped and if gifts need to travel elsewhere, they are gone. This was not a normal year. I’ve been a bit off stride, out of sync, off schedule. While the needing to be shipped stuff is done, the other is not yet finished. There are a few more items to be crossed from the list.

I must shop on our visit to the mall.

This could get ugly. Truly.

***click on photo for ~hand soap~ vendor. Note, however, most are on backorder -sigh-

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with that! May the force be with you. Don't take no shit from nobody. Bring your mace, malls this time of the year get kind of nasty,

    Better you than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finished ordering everything. Crossing my fingers that it all arrives in time.

    Not a single trip to the GD mall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love throws you off balance in unexpected ways. I'm sorry for your need to go malling, which I hear from my own daughter, is a verb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crazy but I love the hustle and bustle of the mall at Christmas. I rarely get to enjoy it though since Fran despises malls any time of the year. What I'm dreading is today's trip to the post office, ugh, big lines there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, how did it go? Did you make it out alive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I hate the mall and that photo really creeps me out!

    Hope your shopping went well though!

    nina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little hands are freaky.
    I hope your mall trip isn't as scary as that image was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The malling went swimmingly. We did get caught in some nasty weather, but it could have been worse.

    The hands were a little weird to me when I first saw them, but now...I kinda like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to agree with Nina - the hands are darned creepy. But, there is something about them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:29 AM

    I echo your sentiments about the mall, in triplicate. I hate the mall on a normal, mundane day but, add in the holiday BS and I'd rather get my gums scraped. Really!

    If I had a dime for every piece of clothing I bought for my own daughter after she turned 13 that she didn't wear, well, I could open my own teen shop full of clothes that, er, teens won't wear I guess.

    That said, I suppose it'd be a short-lived business career, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.