Friday, September 11, 2009

September

So far September has been rather lackluster for me, or to put another way, lacking in the lust---but that means something totally different, doesn't it? Anyhoo...what I mean to say is September has been rather ho-hum, so far.

I don't blame it on the month per se though it isn't one of my favorites, if such a thing were to exist. As you may recall, I'm not big on the notion of favorites . . .

Favorite Books of All Time: I really don't like naming 'favorites'. So many books speak to me for so many reasons. Favorites of all time? There are many. Several. To name but a few would diminish the import of the others.

September is full of not so pleasant memories past . . . my older brother and dad have birthdays in September. My ex-husband's birthday is also in September. I always enjoyed the "back-to-school" excitement when I was a child and when I was raising my children, but that excitement was short-lived by all the hubbub this is back-to-school.

September signals the beginning of our busy season and this year it has been that, busy. Which, of course is grand for business but the affect on me has been less than grand. Though, all-in-all I'd rather be busy than not. And certainly, I pleased to 1. have the job(s)--oh, yeah, serving in the same capacity for the owner's new business--hence the need for an assistant (or two) the second, though, I haven't gotten to know very well because the owner has her assigned elsewhere (for now). hmpf. 2. that business appears to be re-bounding, the past couple of years were pretty brutal. We must exceed the budget these next two months or I fear at least one head will roll.

Still, even in the ho-hum that has been this September so far, I have found moments or even pockets of glee. The new show "Glee" contributed to some of the moments. Football got started, and that always provide gleeful moments, especially since I play in a Fantasy League. I haven't been very successful these past few years but it does add a little extra to the season. There are other teevee related moments, but what led me to this post was my commute the other day.

Normally, I'm in my own world. Sometimes, not always, ip*d shuffle providing my listening pleasure and a book providing enough of a distraction the keep me from obsessing about the coughing, sneezing, yelling, pushing, pulling and otherwise glee that is commuting on public transpo.

Though, trying to block out the world around me, I don't forget that there is a world around me. I remain alert, at the ready to deal with . . . whatever. Urban Living 101. Back to the story, the other day I'm reading, looking up now and again to assess the surroundings and across the aisle is a woman who looked to be in her twenties. Nothing spectacular, good or otherwise about her appearance. Average, I'd say. I heard her pop the top of a can and saw her take a drink. I nice loooooong gulp of something. I couldn't tell immediately what she was drinking, but when it hit her system moments later her eyes bugged out as if someone at popped her in the back and yelled, "BOO!!" at the same time. The eye (and subsequently, head) movement moved her hand and I saw that she was drinking an energy drink. I thought, wow, that stuff must really pack a punch.

The moment passed and some stops later I hear another pop and whoa, she was drinking another one. Downed it in just a few gulps. Yeah, the eye thing again. For the rest of the day I had moments of glee imagining 1. where she was going 2. what she did 3. whether she was in the company of others while she did whatever she did, wherever..

And oh, to have been a fly on the wall she must have been bouncing off the entire rest of the morning, if not the entire day.

Energy drinks, yay or nay? And...their tag, Feel Real? Energy drink for real people. What is that about?

And one more thing, while today is of course, thatday, it is also the day that a friend celebrates a birthday and to her I say, happy happy joy joy!! Here's a royal celebration!!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 PM

    My daughter drinks energy drinks and swears by them. I'd rather have a few cups of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going to try one, go for the *green* Monster Drink. Pretty tasty, and yeah they work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had gotten off all caffine for a few years. A delayed flight turned into an all-nighter, then we had to get up SO early the next day to work back. I was like a slug & could barely lift my arms or move my legs half way thru the day. A FA friend gave me 1/4th of a cup of that shit & ZOOOOOMMMM!!! I started charging around like a nutcase. I could barely even sit in my car when we finally landed to go home. Next trip I tired 1/2 a cup of whatever the hell it was & that is the last time. It really works ridiculously amazing - I decided to start drinking diet coke again instead of doing that caffine mainline drink.

    Unfortunately I am still hooked on diet coke, but now I am trying to only buy caffine-free diet coke before trying to wean myself totally off caffine again.
    If ever....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! You should ask Elizabeth about her tuaca Bomb experience involving Monster...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the minority. One day when I was just exhausted after being up with a sick child all night, I was whining about it at work and my secretary brought me something called a sugarfree Red Bull.

    I drank the whole can and didn't feel a thing.

    When I told her that she suggested that maybe the rumors were true...I WAS Vulcan.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.