Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Welcome To Wednesday


Delivered with far less exuberance than the former CTA CSA's "Good Morning Precious" the current CTA CSA's "Welcome to Wednesday" greeting falls somewhere between, "Hey, at least it isn't Monday" and "Hey, it is almost Friday" in the cheery schematic. Mostly, she sounds bored but feels compelled to offer some greeting to her customers. Though, I've noted, she apparently feels no such compunction for any of the other days. Perhaps the other days; Tuesday, Thursday, nor Friday (she isn't on duty on Monday) aren't as welcoming or don't lend themselves to an alliteratively proper greeting.


The weekly, "Welcome to Wednesday" greetings are met with, for the most part, grunts. But some customers do volley back a "good morning" or something like that. While the CTA CSA seems neither daunted nor encouraged by the returned greetings I wonder if she wonders what we might be wondering about her and / or her welcome. Or something like that.


My mind usually wanders to Ricardo Montalban's greeting, Welcome to Fantasy Island or sometimes to the sandwich sign out front of an events business near my place of work; on event days the business places a chalkboard sandwich sign out front with the message, Welcome PRIVATE EVENT printed with bright chalk colors. I happen to find the sign somewhat disingenuous as the event is private, so everyone isn't welcome. Granted, it doesn't say, "everyone welcome" but placement on a public street generally implies that all who see it are welcome. I recognize the desire and need to welcome invited guests, but I think that goal could be better met once the guests were inside.


Anyhoo . . . I've decided the "Welcome to Wednesday" CSA is happy about Wednesday and likely even more so for the other days of the week. I think her pro forma performance is due in large part to the frustration she feels at not being able to devise unique, sufficiently lyrical greetings for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.


Maybe.


Whatever her deal I welcome you to Wednesday and every other day.


Embrace and Celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. Thankful it's Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather be welcomed to Friday....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned to embrace wednesday by making it my weigh-in Weight Watcher meeting day... See THAT way after the weigh in I can Eat my Ass off!!! Well, maybe not MY ass. but you know what I mean, I chow down. And also it's a great TV night. Then best of all - movie matinee fri is only 2 days away! All the new movies come out that day! (butter popcorn yummmmm!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.