Sunday, August 18, 2024

Asked and Answered




Growing up my friends and family called me Debbie. At some point in adulthood, I became, Deborah and I corrected folks who slipped to call me Debbie or . . ugh, Deb.  

There was a regime change at my work a year or so ago. My new supervisor began referring to me as, Deb.

Other colleagues followed suit (mostly in emails and IMs).  I never made any moves to stop/correct them, convincing myself it wasn't that it wasn't a big deal.  

It isn't.  Really.  But, . . . .   

If you ask my name or what I prefer I say, Deborah.  Deb o rah

Last week a patient insisted on changing the pronunciation from Deb o rah to Dee BOR ah when she noted how I spell my name (the context being my name is part of my work email).

For the record, I detest the Dee BOR ah pronunciation; though technically many folks accept that way of saying Deb o rah. The conversation with the patient was more frustrating than the dozens of emails and IM messages that begin, "Hi Deb" . . . 

The saving grace was knowing I wouldn't have to speak with her again; her problem was solved, and her case was closed. 

It will feel weird to add in my reply to the Hi Deb emails with...oh, by the way, my name is . . . 

All things considered, there are greater issues with which to take umbrage.  

But if you ask me my name, I'll say . . . 

DebOrah
 
Thank You. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad I have a name that doesn't automatically generate a nickname. It would annoy me, too. As for pronunciation, some say my name correctly as Coe let, some say it Cah let. I don't like Cah let at all. Why don't I bother to correct them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Automatically generates a nickname---which is why I avoided telling folks my middle name for y e a r s! Sometimes it feels awkward to correct people. I've actually had folks push back. Ugh. After fights over my last name, the first seems trivial by comparison. lolol

      Delete
  2. Our names are important to us. They are an integral part of our identity. My name has many nicknames and I was called Liz for many years. I don't like it. I say that if you are going to shorten my name, go all the way. Call me E. After many years, the majority of people in my life do just that.
    I'm glad that you pronounce your name in the three syllable style. Very classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your name....as is. I say it the way it was taught to me. I have grown quite fond.

      Delete
  3. Personally, I like when people tell me how to pronounce their names correctly. Much like their preferred pronouns, it seems only respectful to address folks the way they want to be addressed.

    Even with my simple 3 letter name, some folks give it the Dutch pronunciation. Can't win : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:32 PM

    Folks....wow

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.