Tuesday, August 13, 2024

On Theme


 

This photo was uploaded on 07/24/24 with the intent that I would have written and then posted the subsequent post. 

Here we are some days later, well into August and here I am writing and posting.  

In the interim one aunt celebrated her 94th birthday (she, the mother of an only daughter) and another, celebrating birthday number 87 next month expressed extreme frustration with her only daughter.  

This only daughter celebrated and mourned for deep, deep reasons in conversations with both.  

For the record, when I talk about family, aunts, uncles, cousins, it is primarily my maternal relatives I speak of. I don't really have a relationship with any of my dad's side.  I am virtually connected to a few cousins but we haven't spent any face-to-face time together in decades.  When they speak of our grandparents, their parents, and our shared cousins, I'm at a lost.  I don't have the comfort of the history they enjoy.  

Also in the interim of the posting of that lovely sunflower a neighbor died.  Our across the hall neighbor, with whom we had a companiable relationship, had gone silent to her distant (she didn't have any relatives in town) relatives. After a couple of days of her not responding to messages, they called our local police for a well check.  

Her brother (driver of a vehicle with Texas plates) is here to . . . do what needs doing.  He's been here for two weeks.  Neighbors who have seen, met him outside the building report he isn't doing well; he is deep in the grips of grief. 

I can relate.  Deeply.

For also since the posting of that lovely sunflower yours truly celebrated another birthday. Conversations with my brothers (one actual phone conversation the other a conversation by proxy--my older brother and I do not talk) along with conversations with other relatives and friends kicked up a bunch of memorial dust. m

Here I sit on August 14th . . .  well, basically it, here I sit.  I'm not making plans beyond the next 24 (okay, maybe 48) hours.  I am living in the moment, taking it all a day and a step at a time.  

My knees will not allow much more than that.  

In other news I have posted at least one post a month save June.  What happened in June?  Still, on pace to hit 1,130 posts before years' end.  (I'm at 1,128 LOLOLOL) 

Take gentle care, gentle folks; life is a celebration, Celebrate Life.  (of Fame -the TV show, fame).  











9 comments:

  1. Have you tried ancestry.com to build a paternal side genealogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Colette. No. I haven't. After having had a . . . uhm, disappointing relationship with my dad, no. The cousins I've met on-line (to date) haven't spurred interest to dive deeper into the tree.

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the more I am aware of the passage of time - how fast it goes and how precious it is. I am blessed to have much to celebrate.

    Sorry to read about the passing of your neighbor. And for the apparent melancholia you are feeling. Remember to spend more time among the flowers. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious, that is the word! Yes, among the flowers, YES!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a swirl of sorrow is wrapping itself around you just now. I hope it eases soon.
    Love the sunflower. I hope the flowers bring you some quiet joy.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you love... the sunflower is gorgeous, and everything else (other than your birthday, happy belated!) sounds so, so hard. A great message to enjoy life in the moment and celebrate it, because it is not promised day to day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is not. Thank you for the well wishes; kind words.

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.