Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Newest Normal

prompt: something that starts with "T"

prompt: Lick and A Promise

Shelter at home, safer in place, self-quarantine, suspended, postponed, cancelled. This is Spring 2020.  Maybe Summer too? And dare we fear, Fall?  It is all too overwhelming to contemplate so I'm working on maintaining a day-to-day outlook.

It's difficult.

Point of fact my day-to-day hasn't changed much since the beginning of the government's efforts to "flatten the curve".  I was already working (so grateful) from home and I am not, under even the most perfect of conditions, a social butterfly.  My work hasn't had to shut down and in fact, may get busier as the days go on with folks seeking medical attention. (The company has clients whose practices are likely to be less in demand while others are likely see a dramatic uptick).

Still, I'm concerned.  Both my son and daughter work in industries that are not considered essential. Well, my daughter's industry is but as she was employed by an sports and entertainment venue her workplace was shuttered with days on the schedule.  She may be able to get hired on with another group within the industry but job hunting during this time is...well, challenging.  Her income or lack thereof impacts my (our ) budget.  She may get paid for the games missed, a promise with no concrete documentation.

There are options, not great but, something. Those are being explored, utilized in as much as they are feasible. 
 
My son is still waiting to hear if the university (he's a teaching artist working with a theater attached to one of Chicago's major universities) will pay staff during the shut down and if so, for how long.

I am concerned. March feels taken care of economically for us but the days, weeks, m o n t h s following, not so much. And beyond all that, both have, prior to their respective workplaces shutting down, had a lot of contact with a lot of humans.

The unknown (and an extreme lack of confidence in the federal government) invokes fear, anxiety. 

So yes, I'm working on maintaining a day-to-day outlook; trying to focus on that which I may solve.  And reaching out (even more) to family and friends. 

And leaning on art even more. 

Stay safe. Stay home if you can. Follow CDC protocols.  We're all in this together. 

 

 

    



6 comments:

  1. Stay safe, Middle Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan Colette.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Sending you warm greetings and an elbow bump.
    'All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.' That is my mantra/prayer for these strange times.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an elbow pump back atcha!

      Be well. A lot of customer service advocates signed by saying, "stay safe."

      Delete
  3. Love your drawings! And this: "The unknown (and an extreme lack of confidence in the federal government) invokes fear, anxiety." Amen Amen AMEN. I hope your kids are okay in the long run. Such stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I do too. Thank you. So far, so good. :-)

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.