Thursday, February 18, 2021

Winter


 

Spoiler alert, it is winter here in the mid-west.  Well, it's winter in other places as well, but yeah...winter.  I wouldn't say I was in shock or awe over the winter weather we have been battered with  these last (what feels like) 1,000 days, I mean, it IS the mid-west, but good golly when will it not be snowing, when will it not be less that 30 degrees? Or, more than 20? 

Still, we're not having a Texas experience. My heart goes out to those folks and to all folks who are experiencing anything for which they were not prepared and for which a solution feels far away. 

I cannot let tis day, this post go by without noting that eight years ago today my mother took her last breath.  While I do (mostly) wrap myself in the happier times and drink in her infectious laugh I cannot deny that there is a void, a hole in my heart that is always missing her. I have gotten through these last (what feels like) million days by . . well, truth be told, I don't know how, maybe the sketchbook / art groups. 

My daughter noted in her FB mention of the occasion that, "on this date 8 years ago I lost my biggest fan." Which is true, as much as I champion my daughter (and son) my mom was even more robust in her cheering on! And that sentiment is exactly my sentiment. Mom was MY biggest fan too.

We are all cheering for one another but it isn't quite the same.  

Closing the book on this day, I have some sketching to do. I see the weather forecast is for partly sunny with temps rising to maybe twenty degrees over the next several days. One of my neighbors is working on an elaborate snow sculpture. It looks like he'll have time to finish it and we all will have some time to ooh and ahh over his masterpiece before nature shifts.  

Winter.  

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Truly, the loss of one's mother is usually formidable. Often devastating. I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've had your kids and your art to get you through, D. It's rough. This year will mark a decade since my mom breathed her last. Ten years. I can't believe that, but it's true. I still miss her every damned day. Sending you love and virtual hugs... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the love and hugs and kind words.

      Love and hugs right back atcha.

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you, anniversaries are so hard. Love your shoveling art! And snow sculptures are so fun. I am glad that it is finally snowing (in a place that expects it, Bryce's dad is in Houston and they were in a world of hurt). I can take the cold so much more when it's pretty out. Today was lovely light fluffy snow, like living in a snowglobe. That sort of thing can help with the darkness of winter.

    Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. The thoughts are always there but on those dates, they are indeed heightened.

      My thoughts to Bryce's dad and all Houstonites.

      Thank you for the love. Sending some back.

      Delete
  4. You are so blessed to have so many loving memories of your mom. I hope they get you thru the hard missing times.

    Snowing again here. We never had a January thaw and we have not seen the ground in many months. Still, looking at Texas, you will hear no complaints from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so many photos that serve to drive those memories. :-)

      We are about to experience some warm weather and with that, a thaw. May that hang around for quite a while.

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.