Friday, August 22, 2008

One Week

Distinctive tone:
Me: Hi son
Son: Hey, hey howzit goin’?
Me: Pretty good, how about with you?
Son: Good. Good. Soooo, frying pork chops, pretty much like frying chicken?
Me: Yep, pretty much.
Son: Cool, thanks. ~~he goes on for another hour or so with stories about work, auditions and friends. He signs off to finish the chops & prepping the rest of his dinner.

A couple days later, distinctive tone:
Me: Hello son
Son: Hey. Hey. Howzit goin’?
Me: Pretty good, how about with you?
Son: Good. Good. Sooo…how do you make gravy?
Me: ~~I’ll spare you the deets, suffice to say, I tell him.
Son: Cool, thanks. He goes on for another hour or so with more stories about work, the audition, fellow actors and former classmates. He signs off to relax by watching “Weeds” (a recently discovered, new obsession) before hitting the hay.

A few days later, distinctive tone:
Me: Hello son
Son: Hiya, howzit goin’?
Me: pretty good, and with you? How are you?
Son: Good. Good. Tired, but good.
Me: Glad to hear it, the good part. Not the tired.
Son: Soooo Labor Day, you going to barbeque?
Me: No son, I don’t have a grill. Remember?
Son: Oh yeah, soooo you cooking?
Me: Uhm, no, I hadn’t really planned on cooking.
Son: Not even spaghetti?
Me: Well, I guess I could.
Son: Fried Chicken?
Me: Sure, I could fry some chicken and maybe make up some potato salad or cole (or broccoli) slaw.
Son: YESSS!!
Me: And you know, that pie is still here (apple, frozen) from Independence Day.
Son: Yes, I know! He might be drooling, not sure. Soooo, you’re cooking?
Me: Yes, I suppose I am.
Son: Cool. Cool. ~~he goes on for another hour or so with more stories about work, the audition (still no word, what’s up with that?), a particular (different) former classmate, his dad and shared that one of his co-worker’s proclaimed that he’d make a good husband someday, to which we both nod (I’m sure he’s nodding or maybe shaking) me in agreement, he not so much, but, sure…ok, maybe. He makes signing off noises but not before confirming that yes, I am cooking.


I say my good-byes but not before suggesting that perhaps he could bring a dish to share.

We sign off to some hearty laughter. Well, at least the pie will be gone, finally.

10 comments:

  1. awww that's sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, they always need their Mommy, even if it's just to feed them something non microwavable once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that really is sweet.

    I'd have been screwed from the get go because I can't fry chicken to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwww. Just plain "awwwww".

    And "Weeds" rawwwwks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Deborah.
    Girl so much good stuff over here. Alas, I am NEVER going to catch up in the blog world. School is back and my focus and attention span have a one track mind; math.
    I'll try to stop in when I can. And oh does your son sound like mine (at least like mine "used") to sound!! Get those pans out girl, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great relationship. He needs you and he needs YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bing has also discovered "Weeds" and tells me that I HAVE to see it. But, I dunno...I feel like I already watch too much television when the series come back on in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So,
    Mom is still important, even as baby boy grows up. Sweet. Thanks for the Fail Blog link. I lol-ed. My two teenage girls knew about it for weeks! Of course they are the ones who showed me Cake Wrecks! Motherhood has its moments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet! No matter how old, he still needs you, which is also very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. I like him. He's a good kid. No, he's a great kid.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.