Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sit, Eat and Consequences

I joined a gym several weeks ago. Two reasons: body and soul. Seriously, doc tsked tsked about borderline hyper-tension and cholesterol, yadda yadda yadda and as my family history puts me at high risk....So, I had my orders! Get the diet under control and get thee into a regular exercise routine. I noted that I walk all the time. She followed that since my metabolism had slowed to a crawl, I needed to pump it up, so to speak.

First, getting the diet under control. This proved to be a bit harder than I thought it would be. Controlling the fat was not so bad. Beyond that, I had to become a label master. Low fat, low sodium, no trans fat, smart butter and smart water. Sheesh! Basically, I attacked this by cutting down (or out) most processed foods.

I resisted and then dismissed joining a gym initially because it was too expensive. I had a kid in college. I'd lost two apartments in two years due to condo conversions. I had to finally accept that I was going to have to buy a condo to stay in town. Enter, PTG (part-time gig). I had previously taken care of exercise needs with home videos and by beloved bella vista cruiser. I figured I could get sufficient exercise if I rode Bella an hour a day every weather permitting day during the spring, summer and fall months, prior to PTG. With the PTG, an hour a day would have to start at 5:00 a.m. uhm NO.

So, how to get sufficient exercise to combat the medical issues as well as the spread of Missouri across my backside? A Gym. I looked into several options. Most were dismissed as too far from home or work, too pretentious or too expensive.

Finally, a basketball training gym down the street from the office converted to a full service gym. They offered all kinds of grand opening specials, putting it well within my budget. The place is relatively low key and since the area is stinky with gyms and day spas, not too crowded, yet. So, I am now a lunch hour gym rat. My blood pressure is down, desired cholesterol levels are within reach and my Missouri butt is beginning to look more like Kansas. Woo Woo Woo W e oooo (lyric from High School spirit song--you don't want to know)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.