Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Distinctive Tone

Two days ago, on the phone.
Me: Hey Son
Him: The box office is closed today. I’ll look into a ticket for Sunday, tomorrow.
Me: Alright, let me know, when you know.
Him: I will. I need some help with something.
Me: Sure, what’s up?
Him: She’s buying me stuff.
Me: Yeah? Hmm, stuff. Cool.
Him: No, it’s not.
Me: No? Well, what kind of stuff?
Him: Well, she bought a shower curtain, some pillows and a belt.
Me: Did you need a new shower curtain, pillows and a belt?
Him: Yes, but that’s not the point.
Me: No, of course not. Son, she cares about you and this is her way of showing that and that she’s thinking about you. It’s not like she saw you needed a belt and she bought you a suit. She’s being thoughtful. But, if you are having a problem with it, you should talk with her. If she likes you the way you say, the way you think, she’ll understand. However, son, you do realize that you are no longer and *I* you are now a *WE* and with that comes…stuff.
Him: You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?
Me: Yep Yep

Yesterday on the phone:
Me: Hello, son.
Him: I sent an e-mail to the box office, I should hear back in a day or so.
Me: Alright. I hope D can get a seat.
Him: Well, we talked.
Me: Yeah, how did it go?
Him: Well, I helped her put up some shelves. She had fixed dinner and we ate. It was good, the food. I told her and it was really chill. She understood about that and me being busy and distracted because of the show. She said she understood. It was really chill.
Me: Good. I’m glad to hear it. Are you still going to take her to the Arboretum?
Him: Yeah, when the show is done. It’s a surprise. She knows we’re going somewhere, she just doesn’t know where. She’s excited. She hates not knowing, kinda like you.
Me: I’m happy your talk went well. Soooo, when are we all going to have lunch?
Him: Geeez, you and her geez. Soon, ma. Soon.
Me: Probably not until the show is over, huh?
Him: Yeah, probably.

9 comments:

  1. how cute... and how controlled are you????!!! You're DYING to meet her, aren'tcha???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a word..yes. But, I understand and am willing to wait. Heck, my mom hasn' met my girlfriend (yet). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got to meet J-Man's first girlfriend. There will be others to be met, I hope. Sigh.

    I love this conversation - very WISE and MOM-LIKE. He sounds very chill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfectly lovely, TOD. I loved reading this playful, real conversation. Keep going, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like having a son is VERY different than having a daughter, when it comes to meeting "others."

    ReplyDelete
  6. She bought a shower curtain, pillows and a belt - a very practical girl she is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori and gm thanks, he is very chill and yes, we will definitely keep going on.

    Sassy-absolutely having a son is waaaaaay different than a daughter is this and other regards. I got the best!?! of both words.

    Thanks SI..I've missed you.

    eb, that's exactly was my thought, my how practical she is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.