Thursday, April 24, 2008

Reply

Amaya said...
By your level of anxiety at only having 1 pair of glasses, I'm going to assume your eye sight is pretty bad. Have you considered lasik?
4:42 PM


I am nearsighted, moderately to seriously so. It would be a challenge for me to go without my glasses but given some time to adjust, I'd manage, for a bit. However, if I drove, that would be impossible. My attachment to my glasses is deep and maybe irrational. I feel naked and vulernable without them. I have, in the past, walked around the house without them, much in the same way I might walk around without say...a shirt, briefly. But I would never venture out of doors without them.

My feelings about lasik (or any procedure to muck around my corneas) is rooted in this statement: An instrument called a microkeratome is used in LASIK eye surgery to create a thin, circular flap in the cornea. Another, newer way of making the flap is with a laser. The surgeon folds the flap back out of the way, then removes some corneal tissue underneath using an excimer laser. The excimer laser uses a cool ultraviolet light beam to precisely remove ("ablate") very tiny bits of tissue from the cornea to reshape it. When the cornea is reshaped in the right way, it works better to focus light into the eye and onto the retina, providing clearer vision than before. The flap is then laid back in place, covering the area where the corneal tissue was removed.

To which I say... HELLLLLLZ TO THE NO.

My eyes don't hurt. Wearing glasses doesn't hurt and certainly won't kill me. So, I'm good.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, that sounds bad. All surgery sounds like Conan the Barbarian is gonna axe your ass to death. But...our good friend Beth did the lasik thing and she would very much encourage you to do it.

    But, if you're good with glasses, then you're good. So, you can spend the money on wine. I'd rather do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. I thought the same thing, but then I went and had it done anyway. However, my eyesight was extremely bad. My glasses cost upwards of $500 and it was just getting to expensive to have main glasses, spare glasses, prescription sunglasses, contacts...

    I had the surgery despite some pretty deep seated (I never know if that's supposed to be seeded or seated, they both make sense) fears about it.

    It was, truthfully, a snap. I was so surprised that I didn't freak completely out on the table, but it honestly was not scary at all. I wish I had had it done ten years ago.

    And I can see, without glasses, which is amazing when you consider that I used to put my glasses on just to pee in the middle of the night. If I didn't, it was pretty much a gauranteed concussion.

    My "bad" eye could only be corrected to 20/25 the first time. I was warned it might need "tweaking" because it was so bad. But I declined the tweak. 20/25 is a quatrillion times better than what I had, and I'm not tempting fate again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:41 AM

    I feel that way about the Lasik too.

    Of course, I can't even contemplate contact lenses.

    If I needed glasses... that would be it. Glasses.

    I am hugely lucky, though... One of my eyes is near sighted. One of my eyes is far sighted. My eye dr says that working together, they see just fine.

    I just have to make sure I use both eyes to see :)

    Plus, I like glasses, I think they are cool lookin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me how you REALLY feel.

    I agree with you, though my stepdad, who hadn't been able to read without glasses ever, now reads without any. He kinda likes it. Of course, they screwed it up the first time. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even do contact's...all I can say is Ditto that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with oc, I can't even do contacts. I have pairs of glasses and have worn them since I was four and walking into walls.

    Bing, however, got lasik about 15 years ago and her eyesight is perfect. She has never regretted it. Not once. And tells me this often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes my eyes hurt just reading...a friend got it done, and had to have it 2x as well. First time didn't "take" I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am *so* with you on his, D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Women make passes at girls who wear glasses!

    neen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wear bifocals now, in middle age. Either way, though, my eyesight isn't bad, near or far. I can live without my glasses.

    At a certain point in my life -- when 20-20 vision might have been a job-worthy thing, I considered PRK, or whatever it was a decade-plus half or so ago -- now evolved to be called Lasik.

    As minorly screwed as my eyes might have been (and still are) the possible complications (and the notion that I'd be in that 3-10% with complications was food for thought) made me step back from even thinking about someone screwing around with my eyesight, even with the promise of improvement.

    I'll stick with glasses too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know a few people who've had it done (even a brother), but HELL NO is my thoughts on surgery in my eyeballs, too!

    I have three pair of glasses that I wear regularly. Takes the pressure off.

    Regular glasses, lightly tinted (to wear inside and outside), and dark sunglasses (for more outdoorsy days).

    They all live in a random and irritating spot in my kitchen, but I always know where they are (usually...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Oh yeah - Um no one goes near my eyes with a knife or a laser or whatever. Glasses and contacts do me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Thanks for the answer. :D
    That's interesting that you feel naked without your glasses, although I'm sure that is completely normal of anything you make a habit out of wearing.
    I haven't done lasik but my eyesight isn't all that bad. I wear contacts most of the time and glasses when my eyes hurt or I know I'll be sleeping (ex: on a plane). If my sight continues to get worse, I will consider lasik though. I think it's an amazing invention. But I sure don't blame you for wanting to keep a laser away from your cornea.
    Again, thanks for the answer.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.